[ai-geostats] variograms iwth error bars?

  • diane poon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2006
      Dear AI-geostats list,

      These may be a silly questions...but why do variograms appear without error bars to each sample variogram lag point?
      I understand that each point in the sample variogram illustrates the mean of all pairs of points at that lag distance in the sample area and the scatter increases with larger lags.
      But how does this not compromise our interpretation of the sample variogram (i.e. sill, range, etc...)?
      Why aren't error bars applicable or shown on variograms like we see in many other type of statistics?
      What are the assumptions?
      and where can I cite these from the litterature?

      Thank you
      Diane

      --
      The period of greatest gain in knowledge and experience, is the most difficult period in one's life.