RE: [ai-geostats] FK and K of spat. comp.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2006
      Hi Simone,

      Your definition is historically the correct one..
      Note that the term "kriging analysis", sloppy translation for
      the term "analyse krigeante" introduced in Matheron's 1992 seminal
      paper, could also be used.

      The use of the term "factorial kriging" for the
      decomposition of a RF into spatial components based on a nested semivariogram
      model can be traced back to Gslib user manual. To be consistent, I used
      the same term in my book and used the expression "multivariate factorial kriging" when dealing with more than one variable (e.g. regionalized PCA).

      I think that both expressions are acceptable, albeit confusing. The
      use of the term "factorial" does not systematically imply a multivariate
      analysis and a factor does not need to be a linear combination of variables.

      Hope it helps,

      Pierre

      Pierre Goovaerts
      Chief Scientist at BioMedware