[ai-geostats] SUM: Optimization of monitoring networks

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2006
      Dear list,

      Thanks a lot for the many replies to my query on how to distribute
      points in a complex area in an optimal way.

      A few of you gave me a list of papers on network optimization that do
      not reply to my question as these take into account the spatial
      correlation of the monitored phenomenon. My question was about the
      location of points independently of any variable and was thus somehow
      geometrical question.

      To reuse Gerards' words, I want to minimise the maximum distance from
      any point in the area to the nearest sampling point, not minimize the
      kriging variance. An impressive review on the last topic (sampling
      design + matlab codes for network optimization) can be found in Gunter
      Spoeck's PhD, see http://www.math.uni-klu.ac.at/~guspoeck/book.pdf ,
      (22 MB pdf).

      Chapter 9 in Okabe et al. is a good reference and discusses as a case
      study the optimal distribution of mailboxes in Tokyo. However, the
      borders of the monitored area are defined as a rectangle, which
      simplifies greatly the problem.

      Another reference (see end of mail) given to me seems to be more
      appropriate for what I am looking for. Still have to read it properly
      but it is very much related to what I am looking for (here, its is about
      the distrubution of siren locations). Thanks Morton !

      From Jeffrey W. Lively, I received the following suggestions:

      - Visual Sample Plan (VSP). It is maintained by Battelle for the DOE's
      Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Washington State.
      It has an algorithm that they call adaptive fill which is designed to
      suggest to you the optimal spatial location to place additional samples.

      - SADA. It has comparable adaptive fill algorithms and can suggest
      sample placement based on reducing the amount of uncertainty in addition
      to simple geometric considerations. It is developed and maintained by
      the University of Tennessee and is available for download from the web.

      Very useful (thanks to jeolson@... for that!) is the
      following resource: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/graphics/algorithms-faq/

      In addition to Roderick's reference "Spatial tessellations: Concepts and
      applications of Voronoi diagrams", by Atsuyuki Okabe and Barry Boots and
      Kokichi Sugihara and Sung Nok Chiu. Published by Wiley, NYC (2000),
      worth to mention are:

      Papers in Regional Science
      Volume 83 Page 565 - July 2004
      Volume 83 Issue 3

      A lattice covering model for evaluating existing service facilities
      Morton E. O'Kelly, Alan T. Murray

      Abstract. This article presents the following location problem: align a
      regularly spaced grid of new facilities as well as possible with a set
      of existing centres. The problem has some similarity to a problem in
      classical central place theory, namely the spatial arrangement of
      services with a particular range of coverage. The article poses the
      problem, gives a non-linear formulation, and details solution
      approaches. A robust heuristic, based on geometric insights, is also
      devised: if the basis for the new grid is centred on at least one fixed
      centre, an enumeration of various rotation angles will be effective for
      finding local minima (and maxima). As a practical application of this
      problem, a region may wish to supplement an existing system of fixed
      siren locations with additional facilities in such a way as to fill in,
      or complete, the partial coverage pattern. An evaluation of the siren
      system in Dublin, OH, USA, is utilised to demonstrate the effectiveness
      of the technique.

      2 other references provided by Dan Bebber are:

      Button J et al. 1996. Mobile network design and optimisation. British
      Telecom Technology Journal 14:29-46
      G. W. Wiskin, R. G. Manton and J. H. Causebrook 1992. Masts, Antennas
      and Service Planning, Focal Press.

      I did not list other references I received on monitoring network
      optimization for groundwater, rainfall, etc. modelling as these are not
      directly linked to my question.

      Thanks to all for the replies and discussions !

      Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)

      European Commission (EC)
      Joint Research Centre (JRC)

      TP 441, Via Fermi 1
      21020 Ispra (VA)

      Tel. +39 (0)332 78 6360
      Fax. +39 (0)332 78 5466
      Email: gregoire.dubois@...

      WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org
      WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

      "The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
      circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the
      European Commission."