[ai-geostats] Optimization of monitoring networks

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
      Optimization of monitoring networks

      Dear list,

      I am looking for references (and possibly software) on network optimization. The variable monitored has no importance and I am looking for references and topological algorithms.

      A question I have is the following: given an area A with a particular shape (e.g. defined by country borders) and a number of stations N (e.g. for mobile phone emitters), how do I define the optimal locations for these stations?

      Thanks for any hints.

      Gregoire

      Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)

      European Commission (EC)
      Joint Research Centre (JRC)

      TP 441, Via Fermi 1
      21020 Ispra (VA)
      ITALY

      Tel. +39 (0)332 78 6360
      Fax. +39 (0)332 78 5466
      Email: gregoire.dubois@...

      WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org
      WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

      "The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission."

    • Heuvelink, Gerard
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
        Gregoire,

        In order to answer your question, you should first define a criterion (when is a network 'optimal'?).

        If the criterion is to minimise the spatially averaged kriging variance (or something similar) then you might conisder the work done by Jan Willem van Groenigen in the 90s. He used a numerical optimisation approach (i.e., simulated annealing), which takes computer time but is very flexible and can handle irregulary shaped areas as well as situations in which there are given, fixed, prior locations.

        If the criterion is to minimise the maximum distance from any point in the area to the nearest sampling point, then you can use a technique described by Dick J Brus, which is very fast. Dick adapted the k-means cluster algorithm for this purpose.

        Gerard

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
          Dear list,
          Gregoire Dubois has mentioned my dissertation at
          http://www.math.uni-klu.ac.at/~guspoeck/book.pdf
          and has also mentioned the fact, that there is some matlab code for
          network optimization inside. I found two errors in one of my functions
          called mixedLbx1y1.m. If anybody uses this function, please change the
          lines

          x1=[x1;x];
          y1=[y1;y];
          xstarting=[xstarting;xstarting2'];
          ystarting=[ystarting;ystarting2'];

          x1=[x0;x];
          y1=[y0;y];
          xstarting=[x;xstarting2'];
          ystarting=[y;ystarting2'];

          Next week I will also correct my dissertation at the mentioned http.

          Regards,
          Gunter

          --
          Assistant-Prof.Dr. Gunter Spoeck