FW: [ai-geostats] Optimization of monitoring networks

  • Roderik Lindenbergh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2006
      Dear list,

      one solution for the network optimization problem is to use
      Voronoi diagrams. Optimal locations can be defined as
      locations minimizing the average nearest neighbour distance.

      Think of the locations of public mailboxes in a town. The
      mailboxes are on an optimal location if the average distance
      of the people in the town to their nearest public mailbox is minimized.

      This problem is described in detail in the chapter on Locational
      Optimization in

      @Book{OBSS,
      author = "Atsuyuki Okabe and Barry Boots and Kokichi Sugihara and Sung
      Nok Chiu",
      title = "Spatial tessellations: Concepts and applications of Voronoi
      diagrams",
      publisher = "Wiley",
      year = "2000",
      series = "Probability and Statistics",