[ai-geostats] Optimization of monitoring networks

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
      Optimization of monitoring networks

      Dear list,

      I am looking for references (and possibly software) on network optimization. The variable monitored has no importance and I am looking for references and topological algorithms.

      A question I have is the following: given an area A with a particular shape (e.g. defined by country borders) and a number of stations N (e.g. for mobile phone emitters), how do I define the optimal locations for these stations?

      Thanks for any hints.

      Gregoire

      Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)

      European Commission (EC)
      Joint Research Centre (JRC)

      TP 441, Via Fermi 1
      21020 Ispra (VA)
      ITALY

      Tel. +39 (0)332 78 6360
      Fax. +39 (0)332 78 5466
      Email: gregoire.dubois@...

      WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org
      WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

      "The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission."

    • Michel BOBBIA
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
        Optimization of monitoring networks
        Hello
        I have buy a book that seems to deal with this subject :

        Werner G. Müller
        Collecting Spatial Date
        Optimum Design of Experiments for Random Fields
        second edition
        Physica-Verlag (Springer)

        Unfortunatly, my knowledge in design of experiments is not enough to understand the book, but I am reading it carefully...
        However, I am interested in any solution/information to this problem !

        Regards

        Michel BOBBIA
        Air Normand

[...]

        Signoff ai-geostats
      • Gregoire Dubois
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
          Message
          Dear Michel,

          Good idea !

          I remember some of Werner Müller's papers and presentations but, as far as I remember, he was not considering the impact of complex border effects coming from the shape of the borders of the monitored area and was mainly talking about optimizing sensor locations considering the spatial correlation of the monitored phenomenon. Does his book discuss optimization regardless of the monitored phenomenon?
          I guess answers to my question can be found in the field of mathematical morphology but had no chance so far to find anything useful to me. I guess people installing emitters/antennas for mobile phones have answers to my question..

          Thanks,

          Gregoire

          Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)

          European Commission (EC)
          Joint Research Centre (JRC)
          WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
            Optimization of monitoring networks
            I recently read a book (Backroom Boys by Francis Spufford, published by Faber) that described the history of mobile phone transmitter positioning.
            Some references from this are:
            Button J et al. 1996. Mobile network design and optimisation. British Telecom Technology Journal 14:29-46
            G. W. Wiskin, R. G. Manton and J. H. Causebrook 1992. Masts, Antennas and Service Planning, Focal Press.

            Dan Bebber
            Department of Plant Sciences
            University of Oxford

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
              Gregoire,

              In order to answer your question, you should first define a criterion (when is a network 'optimal'?).

              If the criterion is to minimise the spatially averaged kriging variance (or something similar) then you might conisder the work done by Jan Willem van Groenigen in the 90s. He used a numerical optimisation approach (i.e., simulated annealing), which takes computer time but is very flexible and can handle irregulary shaped areas as well as situations in which there are given, fixed, prior locations.

              If the criterion is to minimise the maximum distance from any point in the area to the nearest sampling point, then you can use a technique described by Dick J Brus, which is very fast. Dick adapted the k-means cluster algorithm for this purpose.

              Gerard

              WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org <http://www.ai-geostats.org/>

              WWW: http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int <http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int>

              "The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission."

              _____

              Signoff ai-geostats
            • Gunter Spoeck
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 12, 2006
                Dear list,
                Gregoire Dubois has mentioned my dissertation at
                http://www.math.uni-klu.ac.at/~guspoeck/book.pdf
                and has also mentioned the fact, that there is some matlab code for
                network optimization inside. I found two errors in one of my functions
                called mixedLbx1y1.m. If anybody uses this function, please change the
                lines

                x1=[x1;x];
                y1=[y1;y];
                xstarting=[xstarting;xstarting2'];
                ystarting=[ystarting;ystarting2'];

                x1=[x0;x];
                y1=[y0;y];
                xstarting=[x;xstarting2'];
                ystarting=[y;ystarting2'];

                Next week I will also correct my dissertation at the mentioned http.

                Regards,
                Gunter

                --
                Assistant-Prof.Dr. Gunter Spoeck