AI-GEOSTATS: nugget of a "support"-variogram, given a pointvariogram

  • Pol Hermans
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2000
      Dear members of the list,

      I'm a mining engineering student, following an introductional geostatistics course (22.5h).

      In a theoretical exercise, a point-semivariogram is given with a certain nugget-effect. In addition, the point-data are characterized by a Gaussian distribution. "Support"-data are characterized by a Gaussian distribution too, having the same mean and a smaller s. Due to this smaller s, the "support"-semivariogram is smaller then the point-semivariogram.
      What about the nugget-effect of this "support"-variogram? Is it related to the nugget-effect of the point-variogram? What is this relationship, or were can I read more about it?

      Thanks in advance,

      Pol Hermans

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2000
        > What about the nugget-effect of this
        > "support"-variogram? Is it related to the
        > nugget-effect of the point-variogram? What is this
        > relationship, or were can I read more about it?
        At the risk of having my knuckles rapped again, this
        issue is explained clearly in Chapter 3 of Practical
        Geostatistics 1979 by Isobel Clark, which is available
        free of charge as a download at
        http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/practica.html

        It was put as a question to Andre Journel when I waas
        learning my geostats in 1972. The nugget effect
        reduces by pl/3 where p is the slope of the model
        (spherical, linear, whatever) at short distances, l is
        the length of the "support" (or area/volume if
        necessary) and 3 is 3.0

        Merry Christmas one and all
        Isobel Clark