Assessing flowpath sensitivity due to DEM uncertainty

  • alexanderherzig
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2005
      Dear list,

      I would like to assess the sensitivity of flowpath algorithms due to
      DEM uncertainty given by the RMSE. Unfortunately I do not have any
      error measurements from ground control points to model the error
      surface like described in the literature (e.g. HOLMES et al. 2000,
      AERTS et al. 2003, etc.). Therefore I intend to simulate several
      surfaces (in normal space) conditioned to the spatial distribution of
      the given DEM (by using sequential gaussian simulation). Then I
      consider to resacle these surfaces to the DEM's RMSE (and zero mean)
      to add it to the DEM and finally to apply the flowpath algorithm to
      these new surfaces. As far
      as I understand the thing, this implies equal spatial distribution
      of DEM uncertainty and the DEM itself. I'm not quite sure if this
      is always correct. My Question: Is this a reasonable approach to
      assess the sensitivity of the flowpath algorithm in relation to DEM
      uncertainty?

      Any hints would be very appreciated!
      Thanks in advance!

      alex