RE: [ai-geostats] polygon changes

  • Colin Robertson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      Dear Mr. Boogaart,

      Thanks for your response and I'll see if I can be clearer in my question.
      My interest is in detecting and characterizing changes in polygons between
      T1 and T2. So essentially, comparing two polygon datasets. I think it's a
      little narrower than space and time in Vector GIS, as there are numerous
      methods available for point data, and while one way is to use polygon
      centroids with spatial information attached as attributes, I feel this does
      not effectively capture the complexity of the polygon data (ie boundary
      complexity, orientation, proximity to other features etc).

      So with two polygon datasets which are derived from peak values in an
      intensity surface (moving infestation), some polygons in T1 will intersect
      polygons in T2, some will not. The polygons therefore vary in space and in
      time. So my concern is, where there is intersection, can all of a polygon
      in T2 be considered to have come from the intersecting polygon in T1? Is
      there consistent shape complexity between both? Where there is no
      intersection, but proximity (to some threshold), can a relationship between
      T1 and T2 be established? More importantly, what spatial relationships
      (beyond spatial intersection) can be detected? How can I detect shrinking,
      expanding, moving, coalescing? Much information can be derived from
      visually looking at polygons in T1 and T2, but I am hoping to find a method
      to characterize / detect the change more formally.

      I hope this clears up my original post. As far as my background goes, I'm
      just starting a graduate thesis, and have completed a bachelors(geography)
      and advanced diploma(GIS). So I have much to learn about spatiotemporal
      analysis.

      Thanks for your interest,

      Colin