Re: [ai-geostats]

  • Peter Bossew
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2005
      >Dear list,
      >Has anyone got a very simple/basic C code to generate normally
      >distributed (Gaussian) random numbers.
      >I need to be able to quickly generate N number of realizations to be
      >later transformed into permeability distribution.
      >Thanks a lotfor your help!
      >Ira Petrovska

      Ira,

      have a look into Abramowitz & Stegun: Handbook of Mathematical Functions,
      Sec. 26 (Probability functions), Par. 8 (Methods of generating random
      numbers..), Pts. 4 and 6. (page 952f. in the 9th ed.). The
      acceptance-rejection method works fast in my experience. The given recipe
      can easily be translated into a very simple computer code. The limitation
      of this method is that the domain of the resulting random variable is
      finite.

      Peter

      Peter Bossew
      Division of Physics and Biophysics, University of Salzburg, Austria

      home: A-1090 Vienna, Austria, Georg Sigl-Gasse 13/11, ph: +43-1-3177627
      telefonino: +43-650-8625623
      peter.bossew@...
      peter.bossew@...