Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Choosing Lag Distance and Angular Tolerance

    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2001
      --- Lucie Vallée <Lucie_Vallee@...>
      wrote: >

      > Could you explain what you mean by "nearest
      > neighbour distances between samples locations"?
      This is something I learned about in quantitative
      ecology in the 1960's ;-)

      You take each sample in turn and find the sample
      closest to it. Note the distance. A histogram of the
      distances will give you a sort of natural inter-sample
      distance for use in the semi-variogram calculation.

      The histogram can also be used to check whether
      sampling is randon, uniform, clustered etc.

      I don't have a full reference but it should be easy to
      find: Pielou, Cressie or any other book with Spatial
      Statistics in the title.

      Isobel Clark