Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Number of data points & Variograms
> My research is on heavy metal pollution in waterHi, some thoughts (your numbering):
(1) One of the things I have found successful is the
construct your semi-variogram using ALL of your
data but not allowing pairs between samples in
different water bodies;
use cross validation on each water body separately
to see if the 'generic' model works for all of them or
whether some are more variable or harder to predict
use the generic model for kriging with a
variance/sill scaled for each water body.
> Is there any consistent tested way to approach suchNot really, but I have found this works if the
> 'not-enough-data' situations?
'deposition' is similar in the various bodies.
(2) 'Hot spots' are (a) erratic highs due to
distribution being skewed or (b) true outliers
(inhomogeneities). Which? Tackle accordingly. Cross
validation will pick up outliers but not work properly
if data is severely skewed.
> Could it be possible to effectively fit variograms,Try calculating semi-variograms with and without 'hot
> when the hot spots are present?
spots' and see what happens.
Kriging is based on an assumption of homogeneity and
it is a little unfair to expect it to come back and
say "that's a daft thing to do" ;-)
> [ For most of the cases I tried with such suspectedI find this statement interesting. How do you define
> hotspot data, my results show that
> the linear interpolation works better than the
> krigged distribution based on the 'fitted'
"better" -- prettier? nicer? easier to interpret? less
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
or your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.ie
* To post a message to the list, send it to ai-geostats@...
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to majordomo@... with no subject and "unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org