[ai-geostats] Very high value

  • Freddie De Bruin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2005
      Very high value

      Dear list

      I am working with a data set that as some very high values, can you pls help with any suggestions on the capping of the data for setting up variograms calculations.

      Then do the capped data get used for the kriging process.

      Thank you
      Freddie de Bruin
      Snr Geologist
      Harmony Gold Mine
      Office 011 411 2288
      Cell 082 874 2033

      This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal
    • Glover, Tim
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2005
        Message
        Have you looked at the data to see if a log-normal population model is more appropriate than a normal one?  Do the very high values actually belong in the data set or are they evidence of two different populations (for instance, "background" and "contamination" or maybe "country rock" and "ore"?)

        Tim Glover
        Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry
        Geoenvironmental Department
        MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
        Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
        Office 770-421-3310
        Fax 770-421-3486
        Email ntglover@...
        Web www.mactec.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2005
          Message
          It is also worthwhile to look at a log-uniform probability plot.

          I am working with a data set that as some very high values, can you pls help with any suggestions on the capping of the data for setting up variograms calculations.

          Then do the capped data get used for the kriging process.

          Thank you
          Freddie de Bruin
          Snr Geologist
          Harmony Gold Mine
          Office 011 411 2288
          Cell 082 874 2033

          This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by NetIQ MailMarshal

          Signoff ai-geostats

          Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
        • Colin Badenhorst
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2005
            Very high value

            Hi Freddie,

            Perhaps you can try using log-probability plots, and then base the capping value on the inflection points on the resultant graph?

            Regards,

            Colin