[ai-geostats] gslib superblock search

  • Oriol Falivene
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2005
      Dear,

      I’m a PhD student dealing with geostatistical facies mapping,

      I’m using KT3D from GSLIB (Deutsch and Journel, 1992) to make some
      facies maps.
      I’m working with rather large grids, and I’ve realized that the
      following parameters located in the kt3d.inc file:
      MAXSBX (maximum super block nodes in X direction),
      MAXSBY (maximum super block nodes in Y direction),
      and MAXSBZ (maximum super block nodes in Z direction),
      had a huge impact on the computer time spent for interpolation. These
      parameters are used to subdivide the model in super blocks in order to
      speed up the searching data process.

      If these parameters are set small, setting the superblock scheme is fast
      but interpolation is slow, whereas if they are set large, setting the
      superblock scheme is very slow whereas interpolation is faster.

      I suspect that the results will be the same if independently of these
      parameters. But I’m not sure if using too small numbers could lead to
      inaccuracies on kriging results.

      I would appreciate if anyone can provide some guidance on the correct
      numbers to use.

      Thank you.

      Oriol

      --