[ai-geostats] Calculation of fields in models

  • PCollier@xstrata.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5 10:50 PM
      Hi list

      I would appreciate some feedback on standard/common practice for calculation of fields in models.

      eg:

      If I interpolate X and Y in my model from X and Y data (eg: drill holes), and I ultimately want Z = X + Y, what is the difference between calculating Z = X + Y in samples and then interpolating Z versus calculating Z AFTER X and Y have been interpolated (besides the obvious potential change in spatial characteristics of the variable)...?

      Cheers
      Perry

      Perry Collier

      Senior Mine Geologist
      Ernest Henry Mine
      Xstrata Copper Australia
      ( (07) 4769 4527
      4  (07) 4769 4555
      * PCollier@...
      " http://www.xstrata.com

      PO Box 527
      Cloncurry QLD 4824
      Australia

      "Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

      intended only for the use of the addressee(s).

      If you receive this e-mail in error, any use, distribution or

      copying of this e-mail is not permitted. You are requested to

      forward unwanted e-mail and address any problems to the

      Xstrata Queensland Support Centre.

      Support Centre e-mail: supportcentre@...

      Support Centre phone: Australia 1800 500 646

      International +61 2 9034 3710

    • Colin Badenhorst
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8 12:46 AM
        Hi Perry,

        Well, I tend to stick with the simple calculation. Which values would you use to interpret Z.

        Off the cuff, I'd day just stick with the calculation, because :

        1. It will be much quicker than interpolating Z - time, time, time!
        2. If the relationship is X+Y then a simple calculation is completely acceptable from an auditors point of view, therefore standard/common practice.
        3. No need to define and test the Z interpolation method - time, time, time!

        Hope this helps.

        Regards,
        Colin