[ai-geostats] Spatio-tamporal interpolation

  • Jose Luis Gomez Dans
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2005
      Hi!
      I have a series of satellite images of the same region
      over a time series. In some cases, there are gaps due
      to cloud cover, which are interpolated linearly with
      time (i.e., the missing value is interpolated based on
      the previous and next values for that location). In
      other words, the interpolation is purely made in time,
      which sort of works for small temporal spans, but I
      would like to have a more robust approach, whereby the
      geospatial properties of the images (as well as the
      temporal) are also taken into account. Can anyone
      recommend any "summer reading" on this?

      Thanks
      Jose

    • Albert Boulanger
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2005
        Jose Luis Gomez Dans wrote:

        >Hi!
        >I have a series of satellite images of the same region
        >over a time series. In some cases, there are gaps due
        >to cloud cover, which are interpolated linearly with
        >time (i.e., the missing value is interpolated based on
        >the previous and next values for that location). In
        >other words, the interpolation is purely made in time,
        >which sort of works for small temporal spans, but I
        >would like to have a more robust approach, whereby the
        >geospatial properties of the images (as well as the
        >temporal) are also taken into account. Can anyone
        >recommend any "summer reading" on this?
        >
        >Thanks
        >Jose

        Here are two examples of using region growing to treat geospatial
        properties that are changing over time.

        http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/pi/4d4/4d-software.html
        Our 4D Seismic Technology: A Case Study in Eugene Island Block 330
        covered by 5,586,082 Method for identifying subsurface fluid migration
        and drainage pathways in and among oil and gas reservoirs using 3-D and
        4-D seismic imaging and my spatial statistics analysis of this method
        here http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/pi/4d4/talks/noise/index.html

        http://www-ee.eng.hawaii.edu/%7Etreed/ispg/3D_seg_demo/demo.html
        3D Segmentation-based Video Compression see also the related

        http://www-ee.eng.hawaii.edu/%7Etreed/ispg/ and references there
        Image Sequence Processing Group and

        http://www-ee.eng.hawaii.edu/%7Etreed/ispg/3D_Gabor_demo/demo.html
        Image Sequence Representation Using the 3-D Gabor Transform

        Regards,
        Albert Boulanger
        4D Group
        Lamnot-Doherty Earth Observatory