AI-GEOSTATS: angular tolerance of variogram

  • Anja Gassner, PB
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2001
      Hi there,
      I�m looking at a soil samples taken as a12.5m grid (540*180m) of a very homogeneous field. I�m
      using variowin and have been calculating variograms of soil properties in different directions. The
      long side of the field lies approx in South/north direction (about 80 degrees), which also runs
      parallel to the topographic gradient. Calculating the variograms in the direction of the slope (about
      0 degrees) I get a spatial dependency up to where the slope starts (I�m fine with that).
      If I now calculate the variograms in direction perpendicular to the slope (about 80 degrees) I only
      get a well behaved variogram for exactly 90 degrees, 5 degrees more or less gives no spatial
      dependency at all.

      My question is if I get a well behaved variogram which is not tolerant to any angular change could it
      be an artefact of some kind??

      Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated
      Best Regards
      Anja Gassner

      Anja Gassner

      Institute of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science (FAL-PB)
      Bundesallee 50
      D-38116 Braunschweig
      Germany

      Tel.: +49 531 596 2108