[ai-geostats] Significane test for Moran's I

  • Rizwan Shahid
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2005
      Hello,

      I wonder if the significance test on Moran's I value can be perfomed by using any statistical package. any idea?

      Rizwan

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Darla Munroe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2005

        sure – you can do it in Excel, if you’re so inclined….IF you assume you’re comparing it to a normal distribution (and use a z-test).

        Luc Anselin has written gobs on this – the possible pitfalls of comparing an observed spatial distribution to a hypothesized random distribution.  Maybe this makes more sense in the physical sciences, but it may be problematic for a lot of concerns.

        Why not just download the free package GeoDa, which will do a randomization-based significance test for you, and you can set it to do as many permutations as you like (it’s incredibly fast, takes just a few seconds, even for an extremely large dataset).

        GeoDa:

        sal.uiuc.edu

        DM

        I wonder if the significance test on Moran's I value can be perfomed by using any statistical package. any idea?

        Rizwan

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Carolyn & Richard Block
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2005
          Significance testing for Moran's I is also available in CrimeStat III.  The program is available as a free download at:
          Richard Block
          I wonder if the significance test on Moran's I value can be perfomed by using any statistical package. any idea?

          Rizwan

          Signoff ai-geostats