Re: AI-GEOSTATS: working with different data spatial resolution

  • Jennifer Dungan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2000
      On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Berterretche, Mercedes wrote:

      > I'm working with field data (plots of 25 x 25 m) and satellite images
      > (Landsat 25 x 25 m and Ikonos 4 x 4 m). I've been using some geostatistical
      > procedures as cokriging and kriging with an external drift, always using the
      > data at the field spatial resolution (25 x 25 m). For example, I resampled
      > the Ikonos 4 x 4 to 25 by 25, but doing so I'm loosing information. Is
      > there a way by which I can use the Ikonos data at its original resolution?
      > Thank you in advance,
      > Mercedes Berterretche

      Hi Mercedes,

      Knowing a little about these data, I know your variable of interest is
      measured in the field. It is therefore defined on the 25 x 25m support.
      The satellite image data are, at best, *related* to the variable of
      interest but represent a different variable. I'm not sure you can use the
      Ikonos data unless you have some independent information about the
      relationship between the variable of interest *measured* on a 4x4m support
      and Ikonos response. Otherwise, you are probably taking the best choice
      by aggregating the Ikonos data.

      Best,

      Jennifer

      Jennifer Dungan, Ph.D. | MS 242-4
      Tel: 650-604-3618 FAX: 650-604-4680 | NASA Ames Research Center
      email: jdungan@... | Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000