FW: [ai-geostats] ai

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2005
      Quoted from the homepage (see mailing list)

      "AI-GEOSTATS was called after Arc/Info (which explains the strange AI in
      AI-GEOSTATS), a widely distributed GIS, and geostatistics. The choice of
      the name is purely historical: as a young Ph.D. student in radioecology,
      I was looking for information on basic tools developed for the
      statistical analysis of spatial data and realised not only that the
      tools proposed in the environmental sciences were elementary, but also
      that more advanced tools were working like black boxes. Basically, most
      GIS provided their users with a magic button "create map" and that was
      all the users asked for at that time, not being aware of the fact that
      many methods were existing. The question on "what interpolation method
      between the many available in the literature should I use?" became
      almost an obsession and I ended up doing a Ph.D. in the field. There was
      such a high interest about this topic (many Arc/Info users were indeed
      curious about the strange terms of kriging and variograms) that I
      created my own "cluster" within ESRI's user group. I was putting the
      words AI-GEOSTATS in the headers of my mails to attract more attention.
      Being a bit invasive, I was recommended to start a brand new mailing
      list.

      "

      Now you know everything :)

      Gregoire