[ai-geostats] ai

  • Digby Millikan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2005
      What does the 'ai' stand for in 'ai-geostats'
    • rocchini@unisi.it
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
        Right!!

        I will forward this Gregoire e-mail message to my students, who will better understand that using user-friendly tools and interfaces and following "blind" analysis ways could lead to misleading results.

        Duccio

        Dr. Duccio Rocchini
        Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali "G. Sarfatti"
        Università degli Studi di Siena
        via P.A. Mattioli 4
        53100 Siena
        Tel. +39-0577235408
        Cell. +39-3491425786
        Fax +39-0577232896
        rocchini@...
        www.rocchini.net

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
          Hi Gregoire,

          Thanks for refreshing our memory (I couldn't help smiling when you mentioned that you were
          considered a bit invasive by the ESRI community). Note that I attended a GIS congress last week
          and I was appalled to see the widespread misuse of geostatistics. The "magic button" in ESRI products
          has been replaced by a "series of magic buttons", which does not solve any problem, in particular
          when the implementation has not been carefully thought.

          Pierre

[...]

          "

          Now you know everything :)

          Gregoire

          What does the 'ai' stand for in 'ai-geostats'
        • Federico Pardo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
            Know how
            Know why

            The more computers develop, the less one might understand of the methods.
            We always need to go back to pencil and paper.

            Federico

            Signoff ai-geostats
          • Monica Rivas-Casado
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
              Hi Gregoire,

              I am currently in the position you were some years ago when you were a young PhD student. Currently, one of the applications of GIS (among others) is to developed habitat maps for fish in rivers (i.e. for river restoration purposes or for ecological status assessment). I am trying (1) to analyse the error associated to the creation of these maps and (2) to asses the importance of this error for habitat mapping, river restoration, etc....I would like to ask the list if there is anybody working with something similar so I can exchange some ideas with them.

              Regards,

              Monica