Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Non-Monotone Variogram model

  • Ulrich Leopold
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2001
      Dear Waghei,

      At first I would not trust only in the traditional semivariogram. You
      should better use more robust measures to evaluate the semivariogram
      structures. There are several possibilities like correlogram or other
      standardized variogram estimators (Srivastava, Parker 1989 - see below for
      full reference). They are robust against outliers/extreme values, positive
      skewness. Did you test for a trend?

      In addition, did you try to vary the lag distance? Perhaps you will get a
      better spatial continuity if you increase/decrease it.

      If there should be a periodic structure you could use for variogram
      modelling the periodical or hole effect model. But first you should think
      of the underlying physical processes.

      Hope this helps, Ulrich

      Srivastava, R.M.; Parker, H.M. 1989: Robust measures of spatial
      continuity. In: Armstrong, M.1989 (Ed.): Geostatistics. Vol.1, Dordrecht,
      p. 295-308.

      On 2001.05.06 12:07:01 +0200 Yadollah (Majid) Waghei wrote:
      > Hello list members
      > My Empirical Variogram for a spatial data set has an cubic like form(see
      > below). Then the ordinary variogram models such as Exponential,
      > Gaussian, Linear, Spherical models is not best fit to my data( Because
      > these models are monotone (increasing) functions). Then I need to a
      > suitabe variogram model for such Data.
      >
      > A graph of semivariogram
      > gamma(h)
      > | .
      > | .
      > | . .
      > | . .
      > | . . .
      > | . . .
      > | . ..
      > | .
      > | .
      > | . . . .
      > | . . .
      > |_________________________________________ h
      > Thank you
      > Waghei
      > Dep.of Biostatistics
      > Tarbiat Modarres Univ.(Tehran)Po.Box: 14115-111
      > Tel:8011001-3872 Fax:8007989
      > Visit http://www.visto.com/info, your free web-based communications
      > center.
      > Visto.com. Life on the Dot.

      > * As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary

      Ulrich Leopold MSc.

      Engelstrasse 104
      D-54292 Trier
      Germany

      Phone: +49-(0)651-140764
      E-mail: uleopold@...

    • WARR Benjamin
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2001
        Dear Yadollah,

        have a look to see if you have any strong outliers using a variogram cloud.
        Your potential drift may simply be a single erroneous or extreme value,
        which once removed will cause your variogram to stabilise,

        Benjamin Warr
        Research Associate to Prof. Ayres,
        Geostatistician, Environmental Scientist.

        Postal Address:
        Centre for the Management of Environmental Resources (CMER)
        INSEAD
        Boulevard de Constance,
        77305 Fontainebleau Cedex,
        France