[ai-geostats] A quasi-stationary framework...

  • Simone Sammartino
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2005
      It's me again!...:-))
      My problem now is:
      about a quasi-stationary framework...
      Assume Z(x) is not exactly stationary but its mean varies weakly in the space...
      Thus E[Z(x)]=m(x)...let's consider a new variable, said residual, Y(x)=Z(x)-m(x), with zero mean.
      Variogram for Z(x) is
      (1) 2*Gamma(x)=E{[Z(x)-Z(x+h)]^2}-[m(x)-m(x+h)]^2
      At this point the book says "...and it's easy to realize how variogram of Y(x) is exactly the same of (1)..." How??!?!?!?
      I tried everything but I did not manage to obtain the same result....
      Anyone helping me?
      Thanks as always
      Simone

      -----------------------------
      Dr. Simone Sammartino
      PhD student
      - Geostatistical analyst
      - G.I.S. mapping
      I.A.M.C. - C.N.R.
      Geomare-Sud section
      Port of Naples - Naples
      marenostrum@...
      -----------------------------

      6X velocizzare la tua navigazione a 56k? 6X Web Accelerator di Libero!
      Scaricalo su INTERNET GRATIS 6X http://www.libero.it
    • Digby Millikan
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2005
        The variogram is only the difference between the absolute values of the
        grade, so if you
        subtract the mean from every z(x), you will still have the same variogram?

        Assume Z(x) is not exactly stationary but its mean varies weakly in the
        space...
        Thus E[Z(x)]=m(x)...let's consider a new variable, said residual,
        Y(x)=Z(x)-m(x), with zero mean.
        Variogram for Z(x) is
        (1) 2*Gamma(x)=E{[Z(x)-Z(x+h)]^2}-[m(x)-m(x+h)]^2
        At this point the book says "...and it's easy to realize how variogram of
        Y(x) is exactly the same of (1)..." How??!?!?!?
        I tried everything but I did not manage to obtain the same result....
        Anyone helping me?
        Thanks as always
        Simone

        -----------------------------
        Dr. Simone Sammartino
        PhD student
        - Geostatistical analyst
        - G.I.S. mapping
        I.A.M.C. - C.N.R.
        Geomare-Sud section
        Port of Naples - Naples
        marenostrum@...
        -----------------------------

        6X velocizzare la tua navigazione a 56k? 6X Web Accelerator di Libero!
        Scaricalo su INTERNET GRATIS 6X http://www.libero.it

        > the body (plain text format) of an email message to sympa@...
        >
        > Signoff ai-geostats
      • Simone Sammartino
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2005
          Thank you for reply but I wanted to understand it in a pure formal mathematical framework...
          Simone

          > The variogram is only the difference between the absolute values of the
          > grade, so if you
          > subtract the mean from every z(x), you will still have the same variogram?

          Dr. Simone Sammartino
          PhD student
          - Geostatistical analyst
          - G.I.S. mapping