Re: AI-GEOSTATS: working with different data spatial resolution

  • Chuck Ehlschlaeger
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 10, 2000
      >> I'm working with field data (plots of 25 x 25 m) and satellite images
      >> (Landsat 25 x 25 m and Ikonos 4 x 4 m). I've been using some geostatistical
      >> procedures as cokriging and kriging with an external drift, always using the
      >> data at the field spatial resolution (25 x 25 m). For example, I resampled
      >> the Ikonos 4 x 4 to 25 by 25, but doing so I'm loosing information. Is
      >> there a way by which I can use the Ikonos data at its original resolution?
      >> Thank you in advance,
      >> Mercedes Berterretche
      >

      > Mercedes,
      > I am also interested on multiresolution analysis. I had several works using
      > MRA, some based on Jim Vrabel's work. However, I do not have any papers
      > describing geostatistical technique for that. That's why I am interested to
      > join the list, since I am a newcomer for geostatistics.
      > So, If you are planning to use other than geostatistical analysis, I have
      > some information that might be interesting.
      >
      > Bambang

      The following papers deal with multiresolution analysis, the first
      analyzing area class data, the 2nd and 3rd analyzing continuous data.
      All three articles have extensive bibliographies.

      "Representing Uncertainty of Area Class Maps with a Correlated Inter-Map
      Cell Swapping Heuristic," by Charles R. Ehlschlaeger. Submitted to
      Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems on May 5, 1999, accepted
      January 20, 2000. Published Vol. 24, No 5, pp 451-69. URL:
      http://geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~chuck/urban/urban.html.

      "Visualizing Spatial Data Uncertainty Using Animation," by Charles R.
      Ehlschlaeger, Ashton M. Shortridge, and Michael F. Goodchild. Submitted
      to Computers in GeoSciences in September, 1996. Accepted October, 1996.
      Published Vol. 23, No 4, 1997, and at URL:
      http://geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~chuck/CGFinal/paper.htm and
      http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/cgvis/

      Kyriakidis, P. C., Shortridge, A. M., & Goodchild, M. F. (1999).
      Geostatistics for conflation and accuracy assessment of digital
      elevation models, International Journal Geographical Information
      Science, 13(7), 677-707.

      sincerely, chuck
      --
      Chuck Ehlschlaeger 212-772-5321
      Dep. of Geography fax: 914-407-2029

      "Everybody is in favor of the First Amendment, but we'd have a hell
      of a time ratifying it today." Senator (VT) Patrick J. Leahy

    • Jennifer Dungan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2000
        On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Berterretche, Mercedes wrote:

        > I'm working with field data (plots of 25 x 25 m) and satellite images
        > (Landsat 25 x 25 m and Ikonos 4 x 4 m). I've been using some geostatistical
        > procedures as cokriging and kriging with an external drift, always using the
        > data at the field spatial resolution (25 x 25 m). For example, I resampled
        > the Ikonos 4 x 4 to 25 by 25, but doing so I'm loosing information. Is
        > there a way by which I can use the Ikonos data at its original resolution?
        > Thank you in advance,
        > Mercedes Berterretche

        Hi Mercedes,

        Knowing a little about these data, I know your variable of interest is
        measured in the field. It is therefore defined on the 25 x 25m support.
        The satellite image data are, at best, *related* to the variable of
        interest but represent a different variable. I'm not sure you can use the
        Ikonos data unless you have some independent information about the
        relationship between the variable of interest *measured* on a 4x4m support
        and Ikonos response. Otherwise, you are probably taking the best choice
        by aggregating the Ikonos data.

        Best,

        Jennifer

        Jennifer Dungan, Ph.D. | MS 242-4
        Tel: 650-604-3618 FAX: 650-604-4680 | NASA Ames Research Center
        email: jdungan@... | Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000