[ai-geostats] Determining background concentrations in soils at industrial sites

  • Nicolas Jeannée
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2005
      Dear list members,

      I'm currently working on a large industrial site and we are comparing
      background (natural+anthropogenic) vs. site (point sources)
      concentration levels for various chemical compounds.

      Searching through the internet for existing methodologies about this
      issue, the main documents and references I've found are coming from the
      U.S.: EPA of course and also the Navy. The methodology described is
      basically based on:
      - statistical evaluation of background distribution,
      - statistical tests to compare background vs. site concentration
      distributions, or on-site background concentrations vs. off-site
      concentrations.

      Geostatistics doesn't seem to be so much applied on the area (I guess
      this is partly due to the usually important spatial heterogeneity of
      such background levels), except to investigate for spatial trends in the
      datasets, such trends being potentially related to hot-spots...

      Have you heard about or applied or in mind other methodologies to
      address this issue?
      Any feedback, reference or papers will be greatly appreciated!! I'll
      summarize the answers and inform the list.

      Regards,
      Nicolas Jeannée.
      --
      http://www.geovariances.com
      GEOVARIANCES - 49 bis, Av. F. Roosevelt - 77210 Avon - FRANCE
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 25, 2005
        Hi Nicolas,

        Your problem seems to bear some similarities with the problem of target detection
        in satellite imagery that I presented at the last Geostat congress. The key issue was to
        detect any outliers/anomalies of a given size that would depart significantly from the
        background, without any prior knowledge about these background values. It involved
        geostat filtering to enhance local variations, followed by the application of a spatial
        statistics (LISA) to compute the probability for filtered values to be local anomalies.
        This research is summarized in a couple of proceedings paper you can download
        from my webpage, in addition to a paper that has just been published in Remote
        Sensing of the Environment and that I would gladly send you in a PDF format.

        Cheers,

        Pierre

        Pierre Goovaerts

        Chief Scientist at Biomedware