[ai-geostats] RE: matter of pronunciation

  • Ted Harding
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 4:50 PM
      On 11-Apr-05 Isobel Clark wrote:
      >> Dutch-fashion, where the "g" is a kind of
      >> throat-clearing sound,
      > More like the "ch" in the Scottish loch or like the
      > greek letter chi which forms the first letter in
      > Christos.

      Granted, though it's difficult to represent this in
      script (and I think it's more of a voiced sound, too).

      > If you want to be pedantic, the technique was not
      > named "kriging" by Matheron but "krigeage" - a attempt
      > to turn "krige" into a noun. This is pronounced with a
      > very soft 'g' almost a 'sh' sound.

      Also granted, though one should allow for French idiosyncracies
      in word-formation, and also for their propensity to pronounce
      foreign names as written but according to French rules -- though
      they will occasionally invent their own spelling in order to
      avoid obvious disasters (thus they write "Poutine" for the
      person we write as "Putin" -- the latter being effectively
      how he spells it himself, though in a different script).

      Best wishes,
      Ted.

      E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@...>
      Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861