[ai-geostats] matter of pronunciation

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
      > Dutch-fashion, where the "g" is a kind of
      > throat-clearing sound,
      More like the "ch" in the Scottish loch or like the
      greek letter chi which forms the first letter in
      Christos.

      If you want to be pedantic, the technique was not
      named "kriging" by Matheron but "krigeage" - a attempt
      to turn "krige" into a noun. This is pronounced with a
      very soft 'g' almost a 'sh' sound.

      Most of the other 'foreign' versions use a hard 'g':
      krigaggio, krigovanie kriggage (quebecois) and so on.
      Almost everyone I know use the short 'i' as in pig.

      Isobel
      http://geoecosse.bizland.com
    • Marco Alfaro S.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
        Hello Colin:
        See:
         Geostatistical Glossary and Multilingual Dictionary
        Edited by Ricardo A. Olea.
        OXFORD, 1991
        Regards,
        Marco

        In reports, should kriging, kriged, and krige be written with an uppercase
        K, or lowercase as shown here?

        Regards,
        Colin

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
          Colin

          As a personal style, I tend to use a capital when
          referring to (say) Ordinary Kriging, Indicator Kriging
          and so on and a small letter when used as a noun or
          verb: "the area was kriged........"

          Isobel
          http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark
        • Glover, Tim
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
            Well, well. I didn't expect to start such a tempest with my question!
            Since I have a last name that many seem to mispronounce (using a long
            "o" as in "glow" instead of the proper short "o" as in "love"), I should
            have asked how D. Krige pronounced his last name.

            I appreciate everyone's information, opinion, and speculation on this.

            Tim Glover
            Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry
            Geoenvironmental Department
            MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
            Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
            Office 770-421-3310