[ai-geostats] matter of pronunciation

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
      > Dutch-fashion, where the "g" is a kind of
      > throat-clearing sound,
      More like the "ch" in the Scottish loch or like the
      greek letter chi which forms the first letter in
      Christos.

      If you want to be pedantic, the technique was not
      named "kriging" by Matheron but "krigeage" - a attempt
      to turn "krige" into a noun. This is pronounced with a
      very soft 'g' almost a 'sh' sound.

      Most of the other 'foreign' versions use a hard 'g':
      krigaggio, krigovanie kriggage (quebecois) and so on.
      Almost everyone I know use the short 'i' as in pig.

      Isobel
      http://geoecosse.bizland.com
    • Colin Badenhorst
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
        Can I expand on this further?

        In reports, should kriging, kriged, and krige be written with an uppercase
        K, or lowercase as shown here?

        Regards,
        Colin

        > Dutch-fashion, where the "g" is a kind of throat-clearing sound,
        More like the "ch" in the Scottish loch or like the greek letter chi which
        forms the first letter in Christos.

        If you want to be pedantic, the technique was not named "kriging" by
        Matheron but "krigeage" - a attempt to turn "krige" into a noun. This is
        pronounced with a very soft 'g' almost a 'sh' sound.

        Most of the other 'foreign' versions use a hard 'g':
        krigaggio, krigovanie kriggage (quebecois) and so on.
        Almost everyone I know use the short 'i' as in pig.

        Isobel
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com
      • Marco Alfaro S.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
          Hello Colin:
          See:
           Geostatistical Glossary and Multilingual Dictionary
          Edited by Ricardo A. Olea.
          OXFORD, 1991
          Regards,
          Marco

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
            Colin

            As a personal style, I tend to use a capital when
            referring to (say) Ordinary Kriging, Indicator Kriging
            and so on and a small letter when used as a noun or
            verb: "the area was kriged........"

            Isobel
            http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark
          • Glover, Tim
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11, 2005
              Well, well. I didn't expect to start such a tempest with my question!
              Since I have a last name that many seem to mispronounce (using a long
              "o" as in "glow" instead of the proper short "o" as in "love"), I should
              have asked how D. Krige pronounced his last name.

              I appreciate everyone's information, opinion, and speculation on this.

              Tim Glover
              Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry
              Geoenvironmental Department
              MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
              Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
              Office 770-421-3310