[ai-geostats] A matter of pronunciation

  • Glover, Tim
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2005
      Here's a somewhat esoteric question for those of you who've had direct
      contact with the early giants in the field (on whose shoulders we now
      stand):

      What is the correct pronunciation of "kriging"?

      I've heard it CREE-ging, CRIG - ing, CREE-jing, etc.

      Tim Glover
      Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry
      Geoenvironmental Department
      MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
      Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
      Office 770-421-3310
      Fax 770-421-3486
      Email ntglover@...
      Web www.mactec.com
    • Ted Harding
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2005
        On 11-Apr-05 Glover, Tim wrote:
        > Here's a somewhat esoteric question for those of you who've
        > had direct contact with the early giants in the field
        > (on whose shoulders we now stand):
        >
        > What is the correct pronunciation of "kriging"?
        >
        > I've heard it CREE-ging, CRIG - ing, CREE-jing, etc.

        Without such direct contact, I think one can nevetheless
        answer by appeal to first principles.

        "Kriging" was named after Krige, a South African mining engineer.
        As such, his name would have been pronounced approximately
        Dutch-fashion, where the "g" is a kind of throat-clearing sound,
        perhaps most practically approximated for English speech by simply
        using the standard hard "g".

        The "i", however, would have been between the "i" in "pick"
        and the "ee" in "peek", so if we denote this by "î" then
        perhaps the best way to pronounce the word would be

        Krîging (with a hard "g"), i.e. between CRIG-ing and CREE-ging

        Awaiting the truth from those who really know,
        Best wishes,
        Ted.

        E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@...>
        Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861