[ai-geostats] Re: Automatic Kriging

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005
      > What I don't understand is, how to, automatically,
      > calculate all the parameters (Sill, Range, Nugget)
      > and
      > fit the "perfect" model so it produce a as sharp as
      > possible result.
      All you need to do is be able to define "perfect"!
      Please please let me know if you do - then I can
      finally retire ;-)

      You could do worse than start by optimising the
      Cressie goodness of fit statistic. This incorporates a
      lot (but not all) of the criteria for a "perfect"
      semi-variogram fit.

      Isobel
      http://geoecosse.bizland.com
    • Mach Nife
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2005
        In fact, what I really needed to achieve was something
        only "good looking" I guess. A "good looking, not too
        much scientific, smooth" surface! ;-)

        I finally found my own answer:

        10 lin(2000)

        It produces a nice surface, with transitions between
        points fading smoothly.

        This way, it's possible to create, programmatically, a
        "pretty good" result, using the extent of the data for
        the Range. It seems that the Sill value doesn't have a
        very noticeable effect. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just a
        beginner in the subject, and I'm not very deep into it yet.

      • Mach Nife
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
          10 lin(2000) is a linear model, used by Gstat
          software, with a sill of 10 and a range of 2000
          meters.

          Regards,
          NoName