[ai-geostats] Re: question about kriging with skewed distribution

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2005
      Marek

      Although theoretically non-point support has no reason
      to be lognormal, in practice it very often is. We have
      had good results in estimating areas and volumes,
      although we have limited experience with non-point
      support of any significance.

      You can test the persistency of lognormality by
      aggregating your (point?) sample values into larger
      units or by simulation.

      If you seek something theoretically sound you could
      use a model based on your 'point' samples to simulate
      aggregates and investigate the distributions which
      result.

      Noel Cressie has done quite a bit with aggregated
      values. I do not have references to hand but I am sure
      a search would turn up some interesting stuff.

      Isobel
      http://geoecosse.bizland.com/whatsnew.htm