[ai-geostats] masking lat-long coordinates

  • Mark Coleman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2005
      Greetings,

      I am exploring a research idea which will make use of a proprietary set
      of data on a large number of individual commercial buildings. Due to
      restrictions imposed by the organization that collects this data,
      information will not be distributed if it allows for the identification
      of the individual properties. Thus one can obtain data on aggregations
      of the data, but the individual data points themselves. The exception
      is that data can be released if it is sufficiently "masked", thus
      ensuring the confidentiality of the specific data points.

      I have developed what I consider an interesting hypothesis I wish to
      test using this data; one that requires the use of spatial techniques
      and hence some sort of specific geographic identifier (the raw data
      contains lat-long coordinates). Given this, is there some sort of
      mathematical translation one can perform on conventional lat-long
      coordinates that will disguise the true location of the underlying
      data, yet preserve the spatial characteristics of the data?

      Thanks,

      -Mark
    • David Stinchcomb
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2005
        Mark:

        This is a common concern with health data. The reference below has a
        good discussion of the issues and survey of possible methods. Much
        depends on what operations you wish to perform on the masked data.

        -- Dave Stinchcomb

        Armstrong MP, Rushton G, Zimmerman DL. 1999. Geographically Masking
        Health Data to Preserve Confidentiality. Statistics in Medicine 18:497-525.

        =============
        Mark Coleman wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am exploring a research idea which will make use of a proprietary
        > set of data on a large number of individual commercial buildings. Due
        > to restrictions imposed by the organization that collects this data,
        > information will not be distributed if it allows for the
        > identification of the individual properties. Thus one can obtain data
        > on aggregations of the data, but the individual data points
        > themselves. The exception is that data can be released if it is
        > sufficiently "masked", thus ensuring the confidentiality of the
        > specific data points.
        >
        > I have developed what I consider an interesting hypothesis I wish to
        > test using this data; one that requires the use of spatial techniques
        > and hence some sort of specific geographic identifier (the raw data
        > contains lat-long coordinates). Given this, is there some sort of
        > mathematical translation one can perform on conventional lat-long
        > coordinates that will disguise the true location of the underlying
        > data, yet preserve the spatial characteristics of the data?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > -Mark

      • Roger Bivand
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2005
          On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, David Stinchcomb wrote:

          > Mark:
          >
          > This is a common concern with health data. The reference below has a
          > good discussion of the issues and survey of possible methods. Much
          > depends on what operations you wish to perform on the masked data.

          There was an interesting paper at the AAG last year by Michael Leitner:

          Leitner M. and A. Curtis (2004) Cartographic Guidelines for Geographically
          Masking the Location of Confidential Point Data. Cartographic
          Perspectives, No. 49, Fall 2004 (in press).

          Roger Bivand

          --
          Roger Bivand
          e-mail: Roger.Bivand@...