AI-GEOSTATS: Valid variogram

  • abedini@succ.shirazu.ac.ir
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2001
      Dear Colleagues

      I have learned that a valid variogram should be an even function, i.e.
      gamma(h)=gamma(-h). However, this condition is not satisfied by
      exponential variogram function. Am I missing something in this arguement?

      Thanks
      MJA

    • Syed Abdul Rahman Shibli
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 16, 2001
        d. 16/04/01 17:44 skrev abedini@...
        abedini@...:

        > Dear Colleagues
        >
        > I have learned that a valid variogram should be an even function, i.e.
        > gamma(h)=gamma(-h). However, this condition is not satisfied by
        > exponential variogram function. Am I missing something in this arguement?

        Varograms and cross-variograms should be symmetric, but not
        necessarily so for cross-covariances due to the lag effect
        (different shape with lag direction). The confusion in most
        texts is the -ve sign, when one actually deals with the
        modulus (an absolute quantity) of h in the variogram calculations.
        Cressie's notation should be clearer (in Spatial Data Analysis).

        Syed
        Copenhagen