[ai-geostats] F and T-test for samples drawn from the same population

  • Colin Badenhorst
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      I have two groups of several thousand samples analysed for various elements, and wish to determine if these samples are drawn from the same statistical population for later variography studies. I propose to test the two groups by using a F-test to test the sample variances, and a T-test to test the group means, at a given confidence limit.

      Before I do this, I wonder how I would interpret the results of the test if, for example:

      1. The F-test suggests no significant statistical difference between the variances at a 90% confidence limit, BUT
      2. The T-test suggests a significant statistical difference between the means at the same, or lower confidence limit.

      Has anyone come across this scenario before and how are they interpreted?

      Thanks,
      Colin
    • Digby Millikan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2004
        I believe a related topic is called the proportional effect, which is
        displayed when populations
        display related, but different properties, as discussed in Geostatistical
        Ore Reserve Estimation,
        M. David, pp170, which also displays itself in a sudy of the normal and
        relative variograms.

        Regards Digby