[ai-geostats] Constructing Monte Carlo Intervals for K

  • Mike Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2004
      I have been pondering this for some time.  I am running a simulation experiment where I take 1000 sample plots each from point patterns of different properties.  I am trying to summarize the results from the experiment using K-analysis.  I am interested in the mean value of K across all plots, but I am also interested in the number of plots that were significantly aggregated or significantly regular out of the 1000 points.  My question is this, what is the proper way to construct the Monte Carlo intervals?  Do I have to do it at the plot level (i.e., run 1000 simulations for each plot--this would be ALOT of simulations) or could I use a group (experimentwise) interval?

      If I use a group approach, I run into an additional problem.  For example, if I construct them traditionally say with an alpha=0.05, I could run 1000 simulations (ksim) of CSR and then used the ranked values ksim[25] and ksim[975] at each distance d to give me the bounds.  But, I would then expect 5%, or 50 of my plots, at chance to be significantly aggregated or regular.  So would it be appropriate to Bonferronize the p-value of the interval; i.e., calculate a Monte Carlo interval at a p of alpha/number of plots = 0.00005?

      Just wondering, because this REALLY influences my conclusions in the experiment.

      Mike