RE: [ai-geostats] Very narrow Archean Gold Reef distribution

  • Dan Bebber
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2004
      Message
      By "do anything with the data", do you mean geostatistics or other statistics? If geo, how about transforming to a binary indicator, i.e. gold worth bothering with (1), gold not worth bothering with (0)? It sounds like you've got a lot of places with no gold at all. It also sounds like you've got extreme anisotropy.

      Dan

      Department of Plant Sciences
      University of Oxford
      South Parks Road
      Oxford OX1 3RB
      UK

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 9, 2004
        Hi-

        Without knowledge of the geometry of the veins the suggestion may be pretty
        silly, but if the veins occur in swarms which are combined for mining I
        would suggest diluting to full mineable thickness (if the veins are
        intersected at odd angles this may be fairly tricky) and then looking at
        mineable grade thickness and mineable thickness.

        Regards

        Robert (Bob) L. Sandefur PE
        Senior Geostatistician / Reserve Analyst
        CAM
        200 Union Suite G-13
        Lakewood, Co
        80228

        rsandefur@...

        303 472-3240 (cell) <-best choice

        303 716-1617 ext 14

        ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2004
            Message
            Gayle,

             I can't give you any solution but can inform you of my past experience;

                - Gold deposits normally display skewed distributions, so that if the
                  assays are used for modelling (usually block modelling) the result
                  will be that the grade will be overestimated.
                - Lognormal kriging was developed to overcome this. You krige the
                  natural logarithm (not base 10) of the grades then back transform
                  the results making an adjustment for the variance.
                - The problem with lognormal kriging is that it is highly sensitive to
                   your interpreted variograms, and infact the error in your grade
                   estimate is directly proportional to the error in your variogram
                   e.g. sill estimation.
                   Hence lognormal kriging is best reserved for deposits which show
                   very well formed lognormal variograms.
                - Gold data of course is not always strictly lognormal and often
                   shows mixed distribution characteristics (you may use
                   disjunctive kriging for mixed distributions which you may like for a
                   comparison with other estimation methods) which worsens the
                   prospects of accurate modelling.
                - In such cases as a non strictly lognormal population and poor
                   variograms which may be the case the old hand method is to cut
                   the grade population prior to modelling then just use inverse
                  distance squared or cubed (experience that cubed is better for
                  skewed gold distributions) or ordinary kriging modelling.
                - Determing the cut value is the problem. Some use a cut value
                   based on experience or reconciliation of deposits in the region.
                   I have used a method whereby I calculate the sichel mean of
                   the dataset (an estimate of the true mean of a lognormally
                   distributed population from a sample dataset) then cut the dataset
                   until the arithmetic mean of the cut dataset equals the previously
                   calculated sichel mean.
                   I am currently working on an improved top cut method
                   calculation in association with Frans Manns.

               Software used is any generalised mining package for the modelling
               and for calculation of the topcut, if you don't have a macro based
               software or are intimately familiar with a database package,
               spreadsheet software will suffice.

               I have not checked or do not know if there is any software in the
              Stanford University GSLIB software library for treatment or
              processing of mixed populations.

              If you would like further details on any of the above processes please
             feel free to contact me.

            Regards Digby J. Millikan BEng.