Re: [ai-geostats] Typical sample sizes for variogram calculations

  • Dan Cornford
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2004
      Mark,

      this really depends on how you want to estimate the parameters of the
      covariance / variogram. If you want to use maximum likelihood, then due
      to the need to invert a matrix, which is O(n^3), generally sizes above
      about 1000 become rather prohibitive on a desktop computer. One possible
      alternative that attempts to retain statistical rigour but scale
      gracefully with sample size is our Sparse Sequential method:

      http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/~csatol/ogp/index.html

      Alternatively you could use methods of moment estimators (i.e. the
      classic sample variogram) and fit these empirically using some function.
      Note that in computing the sample variograms one can work in a
      sequential fashion, so that not all pair comparissons need be stored,
      but they must be computed .... so it will be slower, scaling as O(n^2)
      in the computation of the sample variogram.

      cheers

      Dan

      --

      Dr Dan Cornford d.cornford@...
      Computer Science

      http://www.ncrg.aston.ac.uk/~cornfosd/
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2004
        Mark

        Our free downloadable data sets range from 16 to over
        20,000. The biggest set I worked wth was a small
        section of a South African gold mine - 450,000.

        Isobel
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com/softwares