AI-GEOSTATS: problems running FRAGSTATS

  • Chandra Heaton
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2001
      This is my first message to this list, so forgive me
      if the format is not quite right! I cannot get my
      data sets to run in FRAGSTATS and have tried every
      option I can think of --- does anyone have any
      suggestions?

      I am a graduate student working on spatial patterns of
      mesquite regrowth following various treatments, and
      the relationships between these patterns and forage
      production.

      As part of my analysis, I would like to have
      patch-level proximity indices calculated by FRAGSTATS.
      I have the software and have tested it on sample
      data sets, so I know that it is working. However, it
      will not work with my particular data sets.

      This is how I created my data sets:
      I have created grids in ArcView which consist of
      background and woody patches. For every production
      data point (cages where forage data was collected), I
      have assigned the surrounding woody patches within a
      30-m radius to be the same class as the cage. There
      are 30 cages, and I assigned the background to be a
      value of 31. The only values are the woody patches of
      interest and the background, I reclassified everything
      I wasn't interested in to be the background value.

      I used the "export data source" option in ArcView to
      export these grids (3 are app. 2000 rows x 2500 cols,
      plus 2 that are a lot smaller) as ASCII rasters
      (*.asc). This appears to have worked.. I then opened
      these *.asc files in WordPad, and deleted the
      descriptive header rows so that the only thing in the
      file was the actual data. I saved these files as text
      files in WordPad (*.txt).

      When I try to use these text files to run FRAGSTATS,
      it will not run. I have tried the following things in
      an effort to get this to work:
      1. I have tried using the DOS command line in
      FRAGSTATS as well as going through the prompts for
      parameters, and get the same results either way.
      2. I tried reclassifying the background values to 1,
      to see if that would make a difference. I also tried
      a value of zero. I also tried telling the program the
      value of background and then not telling it the value
      of background --- all with no difference.
      3. I ran Patch Analyst in ArcView to see if there was
      some problem with the grids themselves, but it worked
      fine... if only I could get the patch-level output
      this way....
      4. I tried one of my data sets that is smaller (146
      rows x 155 cols) and it will run - but only if I do
      not enter a value for proximity index, which is the
      one parameter I am really interested in. So it
      appears that there may be some issue with proximity.
      However, the test data sets I ran to see if the
      software was working did not have any problem with
      proximity.
      5. I tried saving the files as different types of
      text files (text, or text MS-DOS format, or text with
      line breaks) and it does not appear to matter.

      SO-- if you made it this far --- any ideas on what I
      can try to get my data sets to run in FRAGSTATS and
      give me patch-level proximity index results? I am at
      a loss. I don't even like to think about how much
      time my lab-mates and I have put into this so far. I
      am hoping that there is some simple solution I have
      overlooked, that someone has run into before.

      Thank you for reading, I look forward to any replies!

      Chandra Heaton
      Graduate Student
      Texas A&M University
      Dept of Rangeland Ecology and Mgmt
      alternate e-mail: chandra-heaton@...

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

    • Med Bennett
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2001
        Chandra,

        I am wondering if Wordpad is somehow truncating or corrupting your large
        text files, especially since the smaller files work better. What is the
        format - are they 2500 values on each of 2000 lines, or one value on each
        line of a 2000x2500 line file? Either way, that is a really big file for
        Wordpad, and not all software handles really long lines or huge files
        properly. You might try using the freeware Programmer's File Editor (PFE)
        instead (http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/). Good luck - let us
        know what the solution turns out to be.

        Med Bennett