[ai-geostats] regularization

  • samuel verstraete
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2004
      Hi,

      I have a 3D data set that has been sampled by a private company. They
      lacked a complete knowledge of geostatistics so there is no sampling
      "strategy" involved. Another thing is that the support of the samples is
      strongly fluctuating. Horizontally the sampling support is constant and
      can be considered as a point (about 70cm^2 compared to a few hectares)
      Vertically the sampling support is not stable and rather "huge" in
      comparison with the vertical scale... (sampling can be 0.10 to 1 meter
      and maximum depth would be 5 to 6 meter or even less)

      I've read in the literature that there is a possibility to correct for
      such a things, through regularization. But none of the literature seems
      to discuss the possibility that the samples themself do not always have
      the same support, as stated before samples can have a support that is 10
      times bigger than the smallest sample.

      Question is... Is there any other literature that discusses this matter
      and even more importantly is there any software out there that can take
      this sampling support into consideration when I'm calculating the
      variogram or when I start with estimation/simulation of the field.

      Thanks in advance,

      --
      Samuel Verstraete
      Ghent University