[ai-geostats] geometric designs for sensor networks

  • local
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2004
      Greetings!

      I am looking for an efficient geometric design for installing bunch of
      robots in a field. These sensors(or sensor networks) are not static, in
      the sense that they constantly move and sample data(light, temperature,
      humidity etc.).
      Basically, I'd like to find different schemes - not a square/triangle
      shape from Yfantis et al(1987)- for my problem. Also, this is different
      from space filling since order matters. I mean, the cost will be quite
      different whether robot starts from edge or center. My guess is that
      curve (roulette shape?) will be more favorable in this case, but I
      don't know... Can someone refer me to some references or suggestions?

      THX,
      Andrew
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2004
        Hi Andrew,

        A critical piece of information is the objective function
        you want to optimize. I have worked in the field of optimization of
        sampling design applied to mechanical engineering and ergonomics,
        see papers by Sasena et al. that you can download from my webpage.
        I believe it has great application in the field of design of
        network of environmental sensors and I am open to collaborations
        on this topic.

        Regards,

        Pierre

        Dr. Pierre Goovaerts