Re: [ai-geostats] spatial relationships

  • Chaosheng Zhang
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2004
      Hi all,

      The interesting story given by Tim Glover is a good example of "spatial outliers". The dumptruck loads of polluted soils are too different from the neighbourhood, and thus they should be regarded as spatial outliers. When one cannot get a decent variogram after trying all possible data transformations and robust calculations, another way worth trying is to detect such spatial outliers (e.g., using local Moran's I).

      About two years ago, I dealt with a dataset of soil organic carbon in Ireland, and found that exclusion of spatial outliers significantly improves the structure of a variogram. When doing kriging, the excluded values may be put back to preserve information of raw data.

      This may be an explanation to the conflict between failed variogram and spatial structure. Spatial outliers may destroy spatial structures and thus result in failed variograms.

      Cheers,

      Chaosheng
      Dr. Chaosheng Zhang
      Lecturer in GIS