[ai-geostats] positiveness for variogram model

  • Tony Chase
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23 11:59 AM
      Dear all:

      We all use the commonly-known variogram models(such as gauss, exp and
      spherical,etc.) to do variogram modelling and kriging since we know
      these models will give you a positive krige variance.

      I have a question if I extend the model, say, gauss model to
      gamma(h)= c0+c1*(1-exp(-(x/r)^alpha)), then what requirements for
      alpha in order for this model to be a valid variogram model? I have
      tried a few alpha for one of my data, this model is not valid if
      alpha is greater than 5.

      To be more general, for any function f(x, a1,a2,a3,....), how do we
      prove f(x) is a valid variogram function for parameters a1,a2,a3...?

      Any suggestion will be appreciated!

      Tony

      P.S. I will do a summary for all replies