[ai-geostats] Weighted sample variance in moment method of EB estimation

  • Susumu Tanimura
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2004
      Hello everyone.

      This is a question about teh moment method of empirical Bayesian estimation.
      Does anyone tell me why the weighted sample variance can set the
      followed equation? (I do not know how to describe mathematical expression
      except TeX code.)

      \hat{\phi}=\frac{\sum_i n_{i}(r_{i}-\hat{\gamma})^2}{\sum_i n_{i}} - \frac{\hat{\gamma}}{\bar{n}}

      Referring "Interactive Spatial Data Analysis" written by Bailey and
      Gatrell, I found it on p.306 without explanation of its warrant. And
      it was more worse for me, there is no citation for the moment method.

      I used this method in my paper and the journal editor requires me to explain
      the warrant of above expression.