Re: [ai-geostats] Spatial analysis

  • Koen Hufkens
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2004
      >Is there a way I can characterise the variability at each spatial scale that would allow me to compare both between scales for each plot and between the plots?

      A figure would be nice to interpretate the situation. Put it on some
      website, this makes it easier for people to access it if they want to
      and links are accepted by the maillinglist server.

      I had a similar problem and I used a Moran's I index, as far as I know
      the most simple test you can do and it can me automated. You could
      calculate the index for every scale and compare scales in and between
      plots and you can calculate them for every plot to compare plots.

      This is the quick and easy approach to the problem I would use... but
      who am I...

      Good luck with your analysis,
      Koen.
    • Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6, 2004
        Hi,

        It is true that the general consensus is that you need at least 50 to
        100 points for a stable semi-variogram, but myself i bent this rule a
        little and i worked with 35 points ....

        But you can use LISA (Local Indicators of Spatial Association -
        LISA, 1995, by Luc Anselin, geographical Analysis 27 (2), pp 93 -
        115). LISA is implemented in GeoDA freely available from
        http://sal.agecon.uiuc.edu/default.php

        GeoDa is very friendly and easy to use, but you need to be at least
        a little familiar with ESRI products (ArcView or ArcGIS) and
        especially shape files.

        You can also use sdep package from R (http://cran.r-project.org/) -
        which is a free statistical software - very powerful but with a very
        steep curve of learning.

        The idea is to use local indicators such as local Moran's I and local
        Gearry c for investigating local spatial instabilities (homogeneity
        versus heterogeneity).

        I hope this helps,

        Monica

        Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
        University of Manchester
        School of Geography
        Mansfield Cooper Bld. 3.21
        Oxford Road
        Manchester M13 9PL
        England, UK
        Tel: +44 (0) 275 8689
        Email: monica.palaseanu-lovejoy@...
      • Harris, Allan
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2004
          Hello!

          I would suggest using spatial autocorrelation such as the Moran's I or Geary's Ratio. Both methods would allow you to measure both the proximity of locations and the similarities of the characteristics at these locations.

          Regards,

          Allan C. Harris - QA/QC & Environmental Engineer
          Operations Assurance Services (OAS)
          US Department of Energy - Fernald Closure Project
          P.O. Box 538705 MS45
          Cincinnati, Ohio 45253-8705
          work 513.648.3184; fax 513.648.3076
          Email Allan.Harris@...

          "The Ultimate Inspiration Is The Deadline!"

[...]

          ******************** DISCLAIMER ********************
          the views of the company.
        • Gregoire Dubois
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2004
            Good day everyone !

            "It is true that the general consensus is that you need at least 50 to
            100 points for a stable semi-variogram, but myself i bent this rule a
            little and i worked with 35 points .... "

            .... and I even worked with 9 or 10 points recently (how shocking !).

            It is true that one of the favourite comments made by reviewers (those
            unexperienced in geostatistics) is "how many points do you need/did you
            use" and the favourite reply of the authors is almost systematically
            "there is a rule of thumb about this matter... 30 pairs of points is a
            minimum" followed by a reference to Cressie's book. Such a reply is a
            convenient way to get around the discussion. I must admit, I also used
            the same reference to avoid wasting time and space with discussions that
            would distract the reader from the main argument treated.

            Practically, the number of points you need to describe a spatial
            correlation is very much depending on your experience with the
            phenomenon you study. If you expect a strong correlation (because of
            previous case studies, litterature) and see such a correlation, even if
            calculated on very few observations, why not trust your results? If you
            don't see anything, than you could consider increasing your sample size.
            Few observations will obviously not lead you to results that are
            statistically robust but they may be enough to confirm your assumptions.
            I believe everyone who has a bit of experience in geostatistics has been
            impressed by the large amount of silly semi-variograms published in peer
            reviewed papers: even if these semi-variograms were calculated on
            thousands of points, many are showing pure noise. Nevertheless, some
            dare fitting a model on these semi-variograms and derive conclusions
            and/or generate maps.

            My 2 cents contribution for the week ...

            Cheers,

            Gregoire