Re: [ai-geostats] Sample sizes for point pattern analyses

  • Joseph Le Cuziat
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2004
      Dear Mike.

      In point pattern analysis, your sample is supposed to
      be a homogeneous thinning of a more global underlying
      point process, and is therefore expected to share same
      characteristics.

      Usually Monte Carlo simulations are involved to test
      null hypothesis. The less point you have the less
      robust your test will be: each significant rejection
      of the null hypothesis are about to be generalized to
      the underlying process, whereas no conclusions have to
      be made about non-significant results (since larger
      sample could have lead, or not, to significant
      rejection of H0).

      Of this, what i understood was that no real minimum
      sample size can be defined.

      I found the manual of P.J. Diggle 2003 a valuable and
      clear source of information about points patterns :
      "Diggle, P. J. (2003). Statistical analysis of spatial
      point patterns (2d edn). London, UK: Arnold."

      Hope it would help.
      sheers.

      Joseph.

      ----------------------
      Joseph Le Cuziat
      PhD Student
      IMEP - ECWP

      --- Mike Saunders <mike_saunders@...> a
      écrit : > I have been surfing the internet and looking
      through
      > a few older spatial spatistics books and could not
      > find any recommendations on minimum sample size for
      > point pattern analyses, specifically the Ripley's
      > K(d) function. Is there a source citing this
      > somewhere?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Mike R. Saunders
      > Research Associate
      > Forest Ecosystem Research Program
      > Department of Forest Ecosystem Sciences
      > University of Maine
      > > * By using the ai-geostats mailing list you agree
      > follow its rules
      > ( see
      > http://www.ai-geostats.org/help_ai-geostats.htm )
      >
      > * To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the following
      > in the subject or in the body (plain text format) of
      > an email message to sympa@...
      >
      > Signoff ai-geostats

      =====
      Joseph LE CUZIAT

      IMEP, FST St Jérôme, case 461, 13397 Marseille cedex 20, FRANCE

      ECWP, Province de Boulemane, BP 47 Missour, MAROC