[ai-geostats] GSLIB - Attributing elevation values to unknown points

  • Norrie, Gordon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
      Dear all,

      I've got a set of points at unknown elevation heights within a DEM. These points fall within a dense 5m resolution DEM, with an elevation point at each of the 5m intervals (in both x and y directions). Can anyone suggest a way in GSLIB of interpolating between the 5m data points to produce values at the neighbouring unknown elevation points ? I've got the Deutsch and Journel 1998 edition of the User's Guide, but I can't see anything directly relating to it at the moment. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Many thanks.

      Best regards,

      Gordon Norrie

      This email may contain privileged/confidential information.
      It is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed.
      If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy, deliver or disclose the content of this message to anyone.
      In such case please destroy/delete the message immediately and notify the sender by reply email.
      Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that does not relate to the official business of Sevenoaks District Council shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the Council.

      Visit the Council at WWW.SEVENOAKS.GOV.UK
      This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
    • Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
        Hi,

        I know how to do that in ArcView or ArcGIS if you have the Spatial
        Analyst extension. You can load directly (if i remember correctly)
        the DEM file and you can add with Event Theme your points. There
        are several (free) scripts at the www.esri.com which will add the
        altitude values read from the DEM (or a grid file) to the point theme.

        I hope this helps a little,

        Monica
      • Adrian Martínez Vargas
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2004
          I’m agree with Monica, but if you need a sophisticated analysis or
          estimation is preferable to use GSLIB, or ISATIS or a lest geostatisticaly
          sophisticated software as Surfer 8. If you will use GSLIB I suggest to you
          to create an x,y,z data with the grid that have already Z information (Use
          Add coordinates GSLIB program), create a grid with the same geometry as the
          Grid with none information (no z information). After that, you will have at
          hand all potentiality of GSLIB (and a little more if you use ISATIS) .
          Regards

          Adrian Martínez Vargas
          Instituto Superior Minero Metalúrgico de Moa
          Departamento de Geología
          Las Coloradas s/n
          Moa, Holguín, Cuba
          CP: 83329
          amvargas@...
          adriangeologo@...

          > I've got a set of points at unknown elevation heights within a DEM. These
          points fall within a dense 5m resolution DEM, with an elevation point at
          each of the 5m intervals (in both x and y directions). Can anyone suggest a
          way in GSLIB of interpolating between the 5m data points to produce values
          at the neighbouring unknown elevation points ? I've got the Deutsch and
          Journel 1998 edition of the User's Guide, but I can't see anything directly
          relating to it at the moment. Any help or suggestions would be greatly
          appreciated.

          > Many thanks.
          >
          > Best regards,
          >
          > Gordon Norrie
          >
          > This email may contain privileged/confidential information.
          > It is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed.
          > If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy, deliver or
          disclose the content of this message to anyone.
          > In such case please destroy/delete the message immediately and notify the
          sender by reply email.
          > Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that does not
          relate to the official business of Sevenoaks District Council shall be
          understood as neither given nor endorsed by the Council.

          > Visit the Council at WWW.SEVENOAKS.GOV.UK
          > This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet
          delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.

          > Signoff ai-geostats
        • Nick Hamm
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 25, 2004
            Hi folks

            Does anybody know of any packages available for computing Thiessen
            polygons or Delaunay Triangulation in R?

            Nick
          • Roger Bivand
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 25, 2004
              On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Nick Hamm wrote:

              > Hi folks
              >
              > Does anybody know of any packages available for computing Thiessen
              > polygons or Delaunay Triangulation in R?

              Packages tripack and deldir on CRAN

              --
              Roger Bivand
              e-mail: Roger.Bivand@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 25, 2004
                Nick,
                I had once asked the ArcView folks about this, and their response is
                below,
                cheers,
                dave

                It sounds like you are trying to create Thiessen polygons. If you have an ArcInfo licence of ArcGIS, ArcToolbox has a Create Thiessen Polygons tool under Analysis Tools > Proximity. The tool uses coverages. If you do not, the following sample will create them for you.
                Create Thiessen Polygons 3.0: http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=11958.

                Does anybody know of any packages available for computing Thiessen
                polygons or Delaunay Triangulation in R?

                Nick
              • Koen Hufkens
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 25, 2004
                  Tada,