Re: AI-GEOSTATS: working with different data spatial resolution

  • Bambang Trisasongko
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 1998
      At 06:36 PM 12/9/00 -0800, you wrote:
      >I'm working with field data (plots of 25 x 25 m) and satellite images
      >(Landsat 25 x 25 m and Ikonos 4 x 4 m). I've been using some geostatistical
      >procedures as cokriging and kriging with an external drift, always using the
      >data at the field spatial resolution (25 x 25 m). For example, I resampled
      >the Ikonos 4 x 4 to 25 by 25, but doing so I'm loosing information. Is
      >there a way by which I can use the Ikonos data at its original resolution?
      >Thank you in advance,
      >Mercedes Berterretche

      Mercedes,
      I am also interested on multiresolution analysis. I had several works using
      MRA, some based on Jim Vrabel's work. However, I do not have any papers
      describing geostatistical technique for that. That's why I am interested to
      join the list, since I am a newcomer for geostatistics.
      So, If you are planning to use other than geostatistical analysis, I have
      some information that might be interesting.

      Bambang

      Bambang Hendro Trisasongko
      Department of Soil Sciences
      Bogor Agricultural University (IPB)
      Jalan Raya Pajajaran, Bogor 16144, Indonesia
      Telp./Fax. : (62) (0251) 354859
      e-mail : bht@...

    • Berterretche, Mercedes

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2000
          > I'm working with field data (plots of 25 x 25 m)
          > and satellite images
          > (Landsat 25 x 25 m and Ikonos 4 x 4 m). Sounds like
          you could solve the problem by using non co-located
          cokriging -- what Bill Harper and I called MUCK when
          we invented it back in the mid 1980s.

          Both kinds of cokriging will be available in our
          EcoSSe software by the end of this month.

          Isobel Clark
          http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/Ecosse_download
          http://geoecosse.bizland.com

        • Chuck Ehlschlaeger
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 10, 2000
            >> I'm working with field data (plots of 25 x 25 m) and satellite images
            >> (Landsat 25 x 25 m and Ikonos 4 x 4 m). I've been using some geostatistical
            >> procedures as cokriging and kriging with an external drift, always using the
            >> data at the field spatial resolution (25 x 25 m). For example, I resampled
            >> the Ikonos 4 x 4 to 25 by 25, but doing so I'm loosing information. Is
            >> there a way by which I can use the Ikonos data at its original resolution?
            >> Thank you in advance,
            >> Mercedes Berterretche
            >

            > Mercedes,
            > I am also interested on multiresolution analysis. I had several works using
            > MRA, some based on Jim Vrabel's work. However, I do not have any papers
            > describing geostatistical technique for that. That's why I am interested to
            > join the list, since I am a newcomer for geostatistics.
            > So, If you are planning to use other than geostatistical analysis, I have
            > some information that might be interesting.
            >
            > Bambang

            The following papers deal with multiresolution analysis, the first
            analyzing area class data, the 2nd and 3rd analyzing continuous data.
            All three articles have extensive bibliographies.

            "Representing Uncertainty of Area Class Maps with a Correlated Inter-Map
            Cell Swapping Heuristic," by Charles R. Ehlschlaeger. Submitted to
            Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems on May 5, 1999, accepted
            January 20, 2000. Published Vol. 24, No 5, pp 451-69. URL:
            http://geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~chuck/urban/urban.html.

            "Visualizing Spatial Data Uncertainty Using Animation," by Charles R.
            Ehlschlaeger, Ashton M. Shortridge, and Michael F. Goodchild. Submitted
            to Computers in GeoSciences in September, 1996. Accepted October, 1996.
            Published Vol. 23, No 4, 1997, and at URL:
            http://geo.hunter.cuny.edu/~chuck/CGFinal/paper.htm and
            http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/cgvis/

            Kyriakidis, P. C., Shortridge, A. M., & Goodchild, M. F. (1999).
            Geostatistics for conflation and accuracy assessment of digital
            elevation models, International Journal Geographical Information
            Science, 13(7), 677-707.

            sincerely, chuck
            --
            Chuck Ehlschlaeger 212-772-5321
            Dep. of Geography fax: 914-407-2029

            "Everybody is in favor of the First Amendment, but we'd have a hell
            of a time ratifying it today." Senator (VT) Patrick J. Leahy

          • Jennifer Dungan
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 13, 2000
              On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Berterretche, Mercedes wrote:

              > I'm working with field data (plots of 25 x 25 m) and satellite images
              > (Landsat 25 x 25 m and Ikonos 4 x 4 m). I've been using some geostatistical
              > procedures as cokriging and kriging with an external drift, always using the
              > data at the field spatial resolution (25 x 25 m). For example, I resampled
              > the Ikonos 4 x 4 to 25 by 25, but doing so I'm loosing information. Is
              > there a way by which I can use the Ikonos data at its original resolution?
              > Thank you in advance,
              > Mercedes Berterretche

              Hi Mercedes,

              Knowing a little about these data, I know your variable of interest is
              measured in the field. It is therefore defined on the 25 x 25m support.
              The satellite image data are, at best, *related* to the variable of
              interest but represent a different variable. I'm not sure you can use the
              Ikonos data unless you have some independent information about the
              relationship between the variable of interest *measured* on a 4x4m support
              and Ikonos response. Otherwise, you are probably taking the best choice
              by aggregating the Ikonos data.

              Best,

              Jennifer

              Jennifer Dungan, Ph.D. | MS 242-4
              Tel: 650-604-3618 FAX: 650-604-4680 | NASA Ames Research Center
              email: jdungan@... | Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000