Re: [ai-geostats] kriging proportions

  • Dr Inakwu Odeh
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2004
      Marc-Olivier,

      You can try our recent publication in the Journal "Soil Science" which compared several geostatistical techniques for simultaneously interpolating soil particle-size fractions while ensuring summation to a constant. The reference is:

      Odeh IOA Todd AJ and Triantafilis J 2003.  Spatial prediction of particle size fractions as compositional data.  Soil Science 168, 501-515.

      Odeh
      At 01:01 PM 10/06/2004 -0400, Marc-Olivier Gasser wrote:
      Hi everyone,

      Lets say we have measured three soil particule size values for clay, silt and sand, all adding to one.

      cl + s i + sa = 1

      What would be the best way to take into account each particule size, so the interpolated values still add up to one?

      Is there any geostatistical process that can handle this?

      I have tried interpolating parameters caracterising different particle size distribution functions (in the case where there are more than 10 particule sizes) but this adds errors to the modelling and some parameters don't necessarily exhibit spatial correlation.

      Maximum autocorrelation factor kriging has been suggested such as in:

      A. J. Desbarats and R. Dimitrakopoulos. Geostatistical Simulation of Regionalized Pore-Size Distributions Using Min/Max Autocorrelation Factors. Mathematical Geology, Vol. 32, No. 8, 2000.

      but I haven't found many statistical packages implementig this procedure.

      What other possibilities are there?

      Best regards,
      Marc-Olivier

      Signoff ai-geostats