Re: [ai-geostats] questions about ArcView 3.X

  • Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
      Hi,

      I don't know anything about surfer, but if you have an xyz table out
      of that file - you can convert it either in dbf or txt and ArcView will
      import it with "add event theme"

      I guess by "limit" you mean "clip" or "cut" a raster with a polygon
      shape file.

      If you go to www.esri.com and from there you find the Downloads /
      scripts - you will find for free to download a script done in Avenue
      which will help you do that - i mean clip a grid with a polygon
      shape file.

      Other way to do it is to convert the grid into a shape file (usually
      you loose some detail like that), after you can load the
      geoprocessing Wizard from the Extension option (it is in menu File
      i think ....) and do a clip of a shape file after an other shape file .....

      I have no idea what do you mean by "limit triangles by a polygon",
      so .... if you are speaking about TIN files ..... i guess you have to
      convert them to grids and do a clip using the script i told you before.

      On the ESRI web page you will be able to sign on the GIS forum
      lists and there you may find easier answers regarding ArcView or
      any other GIS ESRI software.

      I hope this helps,

      Monica

      Manchester University, UK
    • Johan Reyns
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004

        Hi Adrian,

        The following will probably solve your third problem:

        Download the free Surfer Extension from this site

        http://www.ecogis.de/download_en.html

        You’ll need SA thou…

        I used it once, and it wasn’t too bad J

        Hope this helps,

        Johan

        --------

        Johan Reyns

        Cartography, Geodesy & GIS

        Geography Department - Vakgroep Geografie

        Ghent University - Universiteit Gent

        Krijgslaan 281 (S8 - D 2.54)

        B-9000 Gent

        Belgium

        Phone: +32 (0) 9 264 46 98

        Fax:     +32 (0) 9 264 49 85

        Mail:    Johan.Reyns@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
          Hi,
          as stated by Monica, you can do this:
          "Other way to do it is to convert the grid into a shape file (usually
          you loose some detail like that), after you can load the
          geoprocessing Wizard from the Extension option (it is in menu File
          i think ....) and do a clip of a shape file after an other shape file ..... "

          or

          you could transform your vector data into a grid.
          Then, from spatial analyst "ANALYSIS" menu you must check for properties and then make this grid as "mask".
          Then you must use Analysis: Map calculator. Choose the grid data that you want to clip and click evaluate.
          I hope this helps.
          Duccio

          Dr. Duccio Rocchini
          Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali "G. Sarfatti"
          Università degli Studi di Siena
          via P.A. Mattioli 4
          53100 Siena
          Tel. +39-0577235408
          Cell. +39-3491425786
          Fax +39-0577232896
          www.rocchini.net

          href="http://www.esri.com">www.esri.com and from there you find the Downloads /
          > scripts -
          you will find for free to download a script done in Avenue
          > which will
          help you do that - i mean clip a grid with a polygon
          > shape
          file.

          > Other way to do it is to convert the grid into a shape
          file (usually
          > you loose some detail like that), after you can load the
          > geoprocessing Wizard from the Extension option (it is in menu File
          > i think ....) and do a clip of a shape file after an other shape file
          >
          > I have no idea what do you mean by "limit triangles by a
          polygon",
          > so .... if you are speaking about TIN files ..... i guess you
          have to
          > convert them to grids and do a clip using the script i told you
          before.

          > On the ESRI web page you will be able to sign on the
          GIS forum
          > lists and there you may find easier answers regarding ArcView
          or
          > any other GIS ESRI software.
          >
          > I hope this
          helps,

          > Monica
          >
          > Manchester University,
          UK

          href="http://www.ai-geostats.org/help_ai-geostats.htm">http://www.ai-geostats.org/help_ai-geostats.htm )

          > * To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the
          following in the subject or in the body (plain text format) of an email message to
          sympa@...

          > Signoff
          ai-geostats

        • Adrian Martínez Vargas
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 18, 2004

            I have get the solution exporting the Surfer grid to ASCII x, y, z file. I have eliminate de blanked nodes, and I have:

            a)      add as table in arcview

            b)      add as even theme

            c)      with spatial analysis extension active I have convert to a grid.

            Notes the surfer grid need to have the same dimension in X and Y, and larges decimal places are not recognised for arcview, these cause problems, some nodes can be loosed in the transformation.

            Note that it is valid for others software useful for grid estimation and processing as GSLIB and ISATIS.

            Regards Adrian

            a)      How to limit no null data of a grid inside a poligon shape.

            b)      How to limit triangles with a poligon

            How to convert a  Surfer (from golden software) to an arcview 3.x. ASCII grid format.

            regards

            Adrian

            ---

            Signoff ai-geostats