[ai-geostats] questions about ArcView 3.X

  • Adrian Martínez Vargas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
      Hello list

      I have 3 questions about ArcView 3.X

      a)      How to limit no null data of a grid inside a poligon shape.
      b)      How to limit triangles with a poligon
      How to convert a  Surfer (from golden software) to an arcview 3.x. ASCII grid format.

      regards

      Adrian
    • Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
        Hi,

        I don't know anything about surfer, but if you have an xyz table out
        of that file - you can convert it either in dbf or txt and ArcView will
        import it with "add event theme"

        I guess by "limit" you mean "clip" or "cut" a raster with a polygon
        shape file.

        If you go to www.esri.com and from there you find the Downloads /
        scripts - you will find for free to download a script done in Avenue
        which will help you do that - i mean clip a grid with a polygon
        shape file.

        Other way to do it is to convert the grid into a shape file (usually
        you loose some detail like that), after you can load the
        geoprocessing Wizard from the Extension option (it is in menu File
        i think ....) and do a clip of a shape file after an other shape file .....

        I have no idea what do you mean by "limit triangles by a polygon",
        so .... if you are speaking about TIN files ..... i guess you have to
        convert them to grids and do a clip using the script i told you before.

        On the ESRI web page you will be able to sign on the GIS forum
        lists and there you may find easier answers regarding ArcView or
        any other GIS ESRI software.

        I hope this helps,

        Monica

        Manchester University, UK
      • Johan Reyns
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004

          Hi Adrian,

          The following will probably solve your third problem:

          Download the free Surfer Extension from this site

          http://www.ecogis.de/download_en.html

          You’ll need SA thou…

          I used it once, and it wasn’t too bad J

          Hope this helps,

          Johan

          --------

          Johan Reyns

          Cartography, Geodesy & GIS

          Geography Department - Vakgroep Geografie

          Ghent University - Universiteit Gent

          Krijgslaan 281 (S8 - D 2.54)

          B-9000 Gent

          Belgium

          Phone: +32 (0) 9 264 46 98

          Fax:     +32 (0) 9 264 49 85

          Mail:    Johan.Reyns@...

          a)      How to limit no null data of a grid inside a poligon shape.

          b)      How to limit triangles with a poligon

          How to convert a  Surfer (from golden software) to an arcview 3.x. ASCII grid format.

          regards

          Adrian

          ---

        • rocchini@unisi.it
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
            Hi,
            as stated by Monica, you can do this:
            "Other way to do it is to convert the grid into a shape file (usually
            you loose some detail like that), after you can load the
            geoprocessing Wizard from the Extension option (it is in menu File
            i think ....) and do a clip of a shape file after an other shape file ..... "

            or

            you could transform your vector data into a grid.
            Then, from spatial analyst "ANALYSIS" menu you must check for properties and then make this grid as "mask".
            Then you must use Analysis: Map calculator. Choose the grid data that you want to clip and click evaluate.
            I hope this helps.
            Duccio

            Dr. Duccio Rocchini
            Dipartimento di Scienze Ambientali "G. Sarfatti"
            Università degli Studi di Siena
            via P.A. Mattioli 4
            53100 Siena
            Tel. +39-0577235408
            Cell. +39-3491425786
            Fax +39-0577232896
            www.rocchini.net

            href="http://www.esri.com">www.esri.com and from there you find the Downloads /
            > scripts -
            you will find for free to download a script done in Avenue
            > which will
            help you do that - i mean clip a grid with a polygon
            > shape
            file.

            > Other way to do it is to convert the grid into a shape
            file (usually
            > you loose some detail like that), after you can load the
            > geoprocessing Wizard from the Extension option (it is in menu File
            > i think ....) and do a clip of a shape file after an other shape file
            >
            > I have no idea what do you mean by "limit triangles by a
            polygon",
            > so .... if you are speaking about TIN files ..... i guess you
            have to
            > convert them to grids and do a clip using the script i told you
            before.

            > On the ESRI web page you will be able to sign on the
            GIS forum
            > lists and there you may find easier answers regarding ArcView
            or
            > any other GIS ESRI software.
            >
            > I hope this
            helps,

            > Monica
            >
            > Manchester University,
            UK

            href="http://www.ai-geostats.org/help_ai-geostats.htm">http://www.ai-geostats.org/help_ai-geostats.htm )

            > * To unsubscribe to ai-geostats, send the
            following in the subject or in the body (plain text format) of an email message to
            sympa@...

            > Signoff
            ai-geostats

          • Adrian Martínez Vargas
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 18, 2004

              I have get the solution exporting the Surfer grid to ASCII x, y, z file. I have eliminate de blanked nodes, and I have:

              a)      add as table in arcview

              b)      add as even theme

              c)      with spatial analysis extension active I have convert to a grid.

              Notes the surfer grid need to have the same dimension in X and Y, and larges decimal places are not recognised for arcview, these cause problems, some nodes can be loosed in the transformation.

              Note that it is valid for others software useful for grid estimation and processing as GSLIB and ISATIS.

              Regards Adrian